1. Where is the closest tornado shelter to me?

Your closest tornado shelter can be found at www.shelteretowah.com or by using the Shelter Etowah App – available on Android or iOS.

2.What is the safest place in a tornado?

There are several things to keep in mind when choosing your severe weather safe place. You want to be on the lowest floor, interior room – putting as many walls between you and the outside as possible. Stay away from doors and windows. Be sure to have on heavy soled shoes and have a whistle or airhorn with you in case you are trapped in debris.

3. What is the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning?

A tornado watch means conditions are favorable for the formation of a tornado within the watch area. A tornado warning means a tornado has been spotted or has been indicated by radar.

4. When do the local tornado shelters open?

Etowah County storm shelters and safe havens open whenever a tornado watch is issued. Once the watch is issued, shelter managers are notified by the Emergency Management Agency to open and remain open until either the threat passes or the watch expires. You can monitor which shelters are open via www.shelteretowah.com or using the Shelter Etowah app on your smartphone.

5. Why didn’t I hear the tornado siren close to my house during the tornado warning last night?

Don’t depend on tornado sirens as your first line of defense. They are intended to warn people who are outdoors to go inside and get further weather information. You will not hear the tornado siren inside your home during the middle of the night. Also, the National Weather Service issues tornado warnings based on polygons. The only time a siren sounds is if that location is within the polygon.

6. Do I really need a weather radio?

The short answer is yes. Everyone needs a weather radio at work and at home. You need multiple ways to receive weather information – smartphone apps, a dependable television weather source, or Nixle are just a few of the options available to the public.

7. I am not sure how to program my new weather radio. What do I do?

Bring the weather radio to the EMA offices located in the basement of the City of Gadsden Police Department at 90 Broad Street and we will be glad to program it for you.

8. I keep hearing about Everbridge. What is it?

Everbridge is a citizen mass notification system used solely by the Gadsden Etowah County EMA. The EMA uses the system to provide vital weather advisories, watches, and warnings that are a threat to citizens. To learn more, go here.

9. I was already signed up for Nixle, do I have to now sign up for Everbridge?

If you were signed up for Nixle, your information has been imported into Everbridge. The only reason you would need to register is if you want to control what alerts you receive and what you don’t. You can learn more by going here.

10. I heard on the radio that all the roads in Etowah County are closed due to the snow. Is that true?

Etowah County roads are never closed due to the actions that are required when that decision is made by law enforcement officials. Roads, however, can be deemed impassable and travel discouraged. If your travel need is not an emergency, it is best to avoid travel in winter weather situations.

11. I heard that the roads in Etowah County are closed due to ____________, can you call my boss and tell them I can’t come to work or I need to be dismissed early?

No. We cannot do that. In regards to closed roads, please see item 9 above.

12. Should I open my business today due to the threat of severe or winter weather or should I close early?

We cannot make that decision for you. We can provide you with the latest information from the National Weather Service office in Birmingham for you to decide the best option for you.

13. When will you be deciding if you are closing schools today due to the weather?

The Emergency Management Agency does not make the decision on school closures or delays. Each local school board superintendent makes the decision on closures or delays. Once we receive notification directly from the superintendents, we post the information to social media.

14. I have bought a piece of property that does not have an address. I was told to call the EMA to get an address for it.

The EMA does not assign addresses. That is through Etowah County 911. You can contact the business office at 256-442-2312 regarding this request.

15. I keep hearing about this Spring Break Preparedness event. What is it?

Every spring during spring break, the EMA hosts an event in downtown Gadsden to encourage students to take a proactive role in disaster preparedness. For more information on this year’s event, contact the Public Information Officer here.